Saturday, August 16, 2008

First Week of School

This week was my first week of school. I enjoyed my class very much. The week started as a half day on Tuesday. I have a total of twenty-three students on the roster. I had five students absent. I am learning this is common because I was not the only teacher with that many students absent. One of the absentees arrived on Thursday and another arrived on Friday. One is in the USA until September when his parents are able to get their work permits. Two others are in Korea. I was told that they are probably still there because if they leave in the next week or two the parents can save hundreds, if not thousands, on airfare. Ah but this is all the life of missionary school.

My class this year is different than any of my classes over the last three years. I say different in neither a good way nor bad way. Usually I can tell in the first two days whether I click with my class or not. It took three and half days until I realized I had won them over. Even writing this now I wonder if I truly have won them over yet. They were not as readily accepting of me as my students in the states were.

One thing that has profoundly affected me is my student’s lack of Bible knowledge. While teaching in a Christian school in Florida each year many students came to my class with solid Bible knowledge. They had this knowledge regardless of whether they applied it to their lives or not. On Thursday I asked my students a basic Bible question. I asked them, “How many ways can you get to heaven?” Many could not answer. I also asked them, “Who can save you from your sin?” Many could not give me a direct answer. I read to them basic Bible truths from the book of Romans. After reading them many of my students responded as if they’d never heard it before. I also gave my students an assignment on Wednesday to write out their testimony. One student very boldly stated on her paper, “I’m too stubborn to become a Christian.” Most of the class stated that they were Christians but when asked how they know for sure their answers were completely works based. My what a mission field! I have no doubt that God has placed me specifically with these kids. It’s both humbling and scary to know that many of my students’ Bible knowledge will come from what I teach them in the classroom. I am thrilled to shepherd these kids!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I am thrilled to know you are there shepherding them! They have much to learn, and you will happily teach them. I am glad you are so flexible. Thanks for the blog. I look for a new one every day! No pressure there, huh? :O) Our first week starts MONDAY! and there is a TROPICAL STORM breathing down our necks! ADVENTURES - HERE WE COME!
Praying for you!
Miss you!
Rachel