Monday, August 25, 2008

School Fun

Hello Family and Friends!

I have a couple of fun stories to share. One story is about one of my girl students. Her name is Wangari and she’s a doll. On the roster it said that her name was Nora. At the beginning of the year I give my students a little card with my name and a pronunciation key with pictures on it. Well a few days into the school year she gave me a homemade envelope. On the outside she had ‘Miss Pourciaux 5th Grade’ with a piece of candy taped to the front. On the inside she had two pieces of paper. One piece of paper said ‘Miss Pourciaux, I’d rather be called Wangari instead of Nora’. The other piece of paper had her name with a pronunciation key of her name. It was absolutely adorable.

Another story was of one of my male students Navraj. My students came in from lunch and I was teaching in the front of the room. Every time I went to one side of the room I smelled old man’s cologne. When I paused and wrinkled my nose students started giggling. I said, “Ok, so what’s the laughter for?” One student with a huge smile on his face said, “Ask Navraj.” So I asked Navraj and he said a bottle of cologne in his bag spilled. Then he points to another student, Rak, and says that Rak put some one too. I had Navraj take the bottles, yes bottles because he had not one but two, outside. Days later he had me smell his bag of chips. The cologne smell was so strong in his bag still that the outside of his chips smelled like old man’s cologne. I do say I have a bunch of goof balls.

We have had quite a bit of fun in class. This past Tuesday we had Open House. I got to meet several parents that I had not met yet and see several that I’d already met. One of my students is a Downs Syndrome child. She only comes to my class for lunch, recess, any specials, and Science and History. The first week of school I taught on cells in Science. I made a cake and carved out a chunk of it to review plant cells. In the chunk I used different candies for the parts of the cell. On Tuesday Madison’s mom said that she came home raving about the nucleus being in the center of the cell. She said the nucleus was a chocolate ball. I used a Roche as the nucleus. I was thrilled because I knew that if she didn’t get anything else she understood that one thing. She’s a bright girl and I look forward to getting to know her better.


I want to say thank you to everyone for your prayers. I have had some neck trouble this last week. I had to be out of class for a few hours and get a massage because I was in so much pain. For two days straight I had a hard time getting around because of my neck. After the second day I started e-mailing friends and family asking for prayer. Each day after asking for prayer the pain eased more and more. By Friday I was exercising with my students while they were at P.E. I have no doubt that I felt better because of prayer. Medicine wasn’t helping and the massage only gave temporary relief for about two hours. I have found a chiropractor and hope to see her this next week. Her practice is walking distance from my house. The Lord is so good!

If you’d like an e-mail update for when I post new blogs please send your e-mail information to jewls4god@yahoo.com or julieinkenya@gmail.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute stories! I enjoyed reading them very much. I hope you will not have any more neck trouble.
~JOYBELL~

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Julie - Way past mornin' for ya I know - but I just like sayin that to ya. Just think - those students you love and enjoy are all created for God's glory, too. Even all those people we never think about in all the nooks and cranies of the earth - and yet God knows them and knows how many hairs are on their head and you have gotten to know somemore of them, too. You are blessed! I will pray for your neck and we will be thankful together that it is not worse than it is. A thorn in your side to keep ya thinkin on Christ. He is so awesome and worthy to be praised! I praise Him with ya! Love, Rachel