Saturday, August 2, 2008

Sight Seeing

This post is from August 1st. I seem to be a day or two behind in posting my entries. I don't have easy access to the internet.

Today we went to the giraffe center. I got to pet several giraffes. I even put a food pellet in my mouth and let the giraffe take it from me. It was pretty gross. I had giraffe slobber all over my face. Yuck! We also saw warthogs. They really are ugly animals. I got some pretty good shots of them with my camera. They were better at posing for the camera than the giraffes were.

Les and Karen Ommen are living in my director’s home while he is in the U.S. with his family until January. The guy who works for them asked them for something yesterday. Now before I tell you what they asked for I should let you know that we were forewarned that we would be asked for things by Kenyans. Four days later and here is a guy who’s already asking. The guy asked for shillings toward his circumcision fund for his three sons. He’s trying to raise 3,000KSH for his three sons to get circumcised. This would be around $46-$47 in the states. It’s odd for me to think that someone would ask for money for his or her child’s circumcision but truth has proven me wrong.

I got to work in my classroom for the first time today. It was good to have a few hours to get a little organized. I have a wonderful view of the elementary playground, soccer field, and Ngong Forest from all my windows. I would venture to say I have one of the best views in the entire school. West Nairobi School has a beautiful campus! It’s not flat like I’m used to traveling around on, it has hills and steep sidewalks. I’ll get a pretty good workout just walking around school everyday.

For dinner tonight I went to a family from the school’s home. Their name is the Kirby family. They are a sweet bunch. They have been in Kenya for over 10 years. Joel and I were the two teachers chosen to go to their home. The other teachers were each paired in twos and sent to other students’ homes. Joel and I had a good time. I was pretty tired from getting up at 5:40 this morning and so I was glad that Joel carried the majority of the conversation. I actually asked him if he would do most of the talking as we approached the Kirby’s door earlier in the evening. I was thankful that he took me at my word.

I must share with you a verse that the Lord spoke to me with today. The verse is I Corinthians 2:9 “But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie! Thanks for all the details! You know I just love 'em! If you ever get opportunity to go to the Samburu Game Refuge - GO and then tell me how much you love it! Praying for you today... and every day. :o) Love you Friend,
Rachel