Friday, August 1, 2008

More Adventures!

This was written Thursday July 31st. Happy Reading!

Today was yet another exciting day in Africa! We most definitely drove on a sidewalk today. The bus started moving and one person says, “Why is that person walking right in the middle of the street?” Then we all quickly realized that that person was walking on the sidewalk and we were not on the street. It was quite amusing. Each new staff member has a great sense of humor. I have thoroughly enjoyed touring the city with them.

Today I couldn’t help but smile when I saw a car that had their license plate number on both the bonnet, which is the hood of the car, and on the side of it. Now in Kenya parts get stolen off cars all the time. One of the teachers just got their side view mirrors back from the shop. They were getting their license plate number posted on them because just last week their original ones were stolen when they were stopped at a roundabout. It’s different to see cars with their license plate number posted all over parts of their car.

I found out that we should be moving into our apartment on Monday. Amy Polhemus and I are the 'we' I am talking about. Our house help also starts on Monday to clean our apartment before we move our things in. I did find out that we are on the ground level right by the guard’s stand. We are going to make the guard our best friend so that if ever we have trouble he will protect us quickly and readily. I think I’ll like having house help. She will come twice a week and sometimes she will come on Saturday if we need her. This will take some time getting used to because I am accustomed to doing everything on my own. I’m sure after a couple of weeks of school I will have so much on my plate that I will no longer feel the urge to ‘help’ her. I don’t remember her name because it is definitely Kenyan, but I do know that she is very trustworthy and has been working with missionaries for fifteen years now.
Tomorrow we go to the Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe center. After that we will eat in Karen and head to the school to start setting up our classrooms.

No comments: