Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Grumpy and Grateful

Saturday my church went on famine relief. There were 20 of us who went. I really enjoyed it as usual. I didn’t take any pictures and I must say that was the best decision I could have made. It was nice to just enjoy the people of the church without worrying about pictures.

I was thankful that my day turned out to be good because it started off with me being pretty grumpy and ended with a splitting headache. I woke up at 3am and couldn’t seem to fall asleep again because my right arm and leg were in pain. Me without sleep is a disastrous combination. I took out my grumpiness on my passengers – yikes! On the way home one of them offered to drive for me and we started our trip that way and then about 5 minutes into the drive I thought to ask if she had her license and she did not. So I ended up driving home. I took medicine before leaving for home and I think it may have helped a little, but when I got home my head hurt so bad I was in tears. I went to bed around 7:30 that night (thankfully my exhaustion outweighed the pain).

So over the past few days I’ve really beaten myself up over my behavior. I was never really a sensitive person growing up that I can remember. There was a time in my life when it wouldn’t have mattered if I hurt another person’s feelings. Now I seem to rethink many things wondering what I could have done differently. I see this as a sign that the Lord is at work in me.

Yesterday I was teaching my students a missionary story. It turned out to be a pretty awesome lesson. I presented my students with a question that I try to tell myself all the time: In light of eternity will this matter? When we live with an eternal mindset it helps us to make the best decisions possible for God’s glory and not our own. I forget this many times but He is faithful to remind me.

No comments: