Friday, September 3, 2010

Birthdays are Best!!

Yesterday I turned the big 6-2. Just kidding! :-) Every time my students asked how old I was turning I told them 62. At first I could tell by their facial expressions that they were contemplating whether or not it was true. Of course they DID NOT believe me. I have yet to admit to them my true age. My students, as well as friends and family, made my birthday so very special yesterday. The gifts I received overwhelmed me. I told my students that they could get me fruit instead of the normal chocolate gifts that teachers are given. Well they really took me serious. On my table are 2 baskets and 2 large bowls full of delicious fruit. I also received 5 bouquets of flowers, 4 bracelets (2 are homemade), 1 necklace, a rhino key chain, 1 super awesome hot pad I wanted, and a homemade spice-type cake. The evening was spent at my usual Thursday night place. It was fun as usual.

Tonight I watched the movie Julie & Julia. I'd been told by several people that I would enjoy the movie. Partly because my name is Julie and I LOVE to cook. I am now inspired to cook a new, different meal once a week for 3 months. Sunday I will begin. I've already decided to finally make the chicken marsala recipe I've been anxious to attempt. Somehow when I begin to cook I come alive. It doesn't matter how tiring my day can be. If I have energy to get into my kitchen I'm unstoppable once behind my apron. A friend came over Wednesday evening to hang out and they were surprised at how awake I seemed after baking homemade chocolate chip cookies. Driving on the road I may have a short fuse at times, but in the kitchen I easily laugh at my mistakes.

No comments: