Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Word of God speak!

The Word of God resounds in my heart. So much so that I can’t deny it and I can’t ignore it. God’s Word is more powerful than I think it to be at times. Last Friday I spoke in our elementary chapel. I basically shared Scripture with very few words in between. A passage that jumped out at me is Psalm 29.

Psalm 29:1-11
Vs 1 – Give unto the Lord, O ye mighty, give unto the Lord glory and strength.
Vs 2 – Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name; worship the Lord in the beauty of his holiness.
Vs 3 – The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.
Vs 4 – The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is full of majesty.
Vs 5 – The voice of the Lord breaketh the cedars; yea, the Lord breaketh the cedars of Lebanon.
Vs 6 – He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young unicorn.
Vs 7 – The voice of the Lord divideth the flames of fire.
Vs 8 – The voice of the Lord shaketh the wilderness; the Lord shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh.
Vs 9 – The voice of the Lord maketh the hinds to calve, and discovereth the forests: and in his temple doth every one speak of his glory.
Vs 10 – The Lord sitteth upon the flood; yea, the Lord sitteth King for ever.
Vs 11 – The Lord will give strength unto his people; the Lord will bless his people with peace.

The theme of the Psalm is obviously God revealing His great power in nature. More so than that it shows me the absolute power in simply His words. Verse 4 says that the voice of the Lord is powerful. Starting in verse 3 through 29 of Genesis chapter 1 you read over and over again ‘God said.’ If the Bible is His Word wouldn’t every word be just as powerful as the word before and after it? If He spoke the world into existence, couldn’t He indeed transform us with His Word?

This morning we had staff devotions. Today’s message from the Word was on humility. Sometimes it’s easy for me to see pride in other people’s hearts and yet neglect the smoldering mess of it in my own. When the speaker was talking on this topic I immediately thought of several people where pride is evident in their hearts. As the speaker continued I started to wonder how many people would categorize me as a prideful person. If I were being honest with myself I would have to admit that probably several people would put me near or at the top of their list. Humility is a difficult lesson to learn. Reflecting on the cross and what Christ has done may be the only way to find real perspective.

No comments: