Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Cultural Differences

Well it’s been a few days in Kenya and there are definite cultural differences. Probably the first thing that stuck out to me was the roadblocks. Police officers do not have cars and so to slow people down they have these two by four looking things with huge nails sticking up out of them. They leave only a small space between two of them for your vehicle to pass through. I say this is the first thing because my drive from the airport at 9p.m. was full of these roadblocks. The funny thing is that some streets have no streetlights and the others are poorly lit so it was quite amusing to come upon them unexpectedly. The roads themselves are interesting to say the least. I don’t know if I’ve quite ever experienced the constant jolts from so many potholes. I’m quickly adjusting to everyone driving on the left side of the road and the driver being on the right side of the car. I quite like the roundabouts. I hope to get the hang of them quickly.

Yesterday we drove to the school. On the way we saw a guy relieving himself on the side of the road. Thankfully he was facing a building. We rode along a street that was somewhat of their Home Depot and Target. Merchandise is rarely on display in a building and so most everything was out in the open. We saw many nurseries, pots, lumber, furniture, produce, and much more being sold along Ngong Road.

I miss family and friends, but I have no doubt that this is exactly where the Lord wants me. Today was a bit overwhelming with all the information that was given to us. We went shopping. One shopping center is within walking distance of our apartment (which by the way is bright orange and yellow). I think I’ll very much like my new life in Kenya. The people are friendly and hospitable. I’m anxious to get into my classroom and start setting up. My classroom is a very nice size with large windows. I’m excited to meet my students and their families. One thing that I’ve already learned is that not many things are predictable or reliable here. For instance, I’ve already experienced a power loss twice today. One was at Nakumatt, a shopping center, and the other was at Mayfield, the mission house I’m staying at.
The Lord is stretching me and causing me to depend more on Him. This morning I was complaining to Him about how frustrated I’ve been with living out of suitcases for the last three months. I’m ready to be in a home again that I can call my own. He very gently reminded me that I am only a sojourner in this land. Heaven is my home and not this place. He brought to mind Psalm 17:8 that says “Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings.” All day I have been reflecting on this verse. How wonderful the Lord is to bring to mind what we need simply from His Word that we’ve hid in our heart! Please continue to pray that I would place my full trust and security in Him and Him alone.

Thank you everyone for your prayers and support!! I will post pictures once I am able to make it to an internet cafe with faster internet connection.

No comments: