Saturday, June 5, 2010

Updates

I arrived safely on Tuesday evening.

On Wednesday I had breakfast with the principal, vice-principal, and lower division administrator of my former school in the States. They were extremely helpful and gave me a lot of good advice. After breakfast I was able to meet with the lower division administrator for another hour to discuss things and ask questions. I spent the rest of the day hopping from classroom to classroom hanging out with teachers. Then in the evening I went to church. I have really missed my home church a lot. It was great to see and reconnect with people.

On Thursday I stayed home and rested most of the day. I was going to go back to the school but I woke up with a headache and it lasted almost the whole day. I went swimming late afternoon. In the evening I attended the graduation of a girl who was a student in my Sunday school class when I taught 6th grade. It was neat to see many kids in her graduating class that I taught in extended education when they were in the 5th or 6th grade. I felt older needless to say.

On Friday I spent time with several different people. I went to the church office and had a wonderful time sharing stories about life in Africa with some friends. I went to dinner with a good friend and some acquaintances.

Today was the birthday of a friend who is like a father to me. I spent most of the day with him, his wife, and daughter. I am truly blessed by the Lord. Not having parents of my own it seems like God provides substitutes each place I go. These people will never take the place of my real parents, but they sure are wonderful.

One of my goals while I'm home is to 'take a chill pill' so to speak. I plan on relaxing as best I can. Already I can look in the mirror and it seems as though a weight has been lifted and my stress lines are going away. A second goal is to get in shape. I'd like to run a 5K by the end of my stay in the U.S. I used to run before moving to Africa and I miss it quite a bit. I have exercised every day since I've been back in country. Probably the most important goal I have is to deepen my prayer life. I would also like to read several books over the next few weeks.

No comments: