Monday, March 9, 2009

Famine Relief


Two days ago I went with my church for famine relief. It was an amazing experience and I'm glad I went. Now when I say amazing I mean it was amazing to be able to see the 'real' Kenya but it was also saddening at the same time. I take so much for granted on a daily basis. These people have so little and yet to hear the ladies choirs sing and praise the Lord my heart couldn't help but be warmed and convicted. The first church sent us off with a large bag of mangoes. The second church served us tea, boiled eggs, and bread with butter. For people with so little their hearts are so big. The first church had a Christian school. My heart ached when I stepped into their classrooms. My classroom is colorful, warm, and inviting. There are posters, charts, and decorations all over the walls. These classrooms were almost bare with hardly anything on the walls. The few things they had on the walls were homemade pictures and charts drawn on empty sacks. I found out that they share books because there aren't enough for each student to have one and they aren't allowed to take them home. They have very limited school supplies as well. I talked to my students this morning and we are going to start collecting school supplies that I can bring back with me next time I go to the school. I'm going to go through all of my teaching supplies and donate what I can out the things I don't use much or haven't even used yet this year. It's not much but it is something.

No comments: