Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Shopping

Today I went looking for things that I'll need in Kenya. I must have spent over an hour in the teacher store. There was so much to choose from. I like shopping in the teacher store because I like to find things that I can use for my students. Today's experience in a store was very different from my experience last week. I went with some family members to a pet store because they needed dog food. We went to Petco or some huge store like it. I was amazed at all the things they sold! While there are children starving in other countries people are spending there money on $6.00 rope knots for their animals to chew on or $15.00 pet outfits. Some bags of dog food in that store cost $50.00 or more. There is plenty of money in the world but are we really spending our money wisely? I felt sick when I left that store. Even as I was shopping for educational tools to use with my students I was hesitant to buy certain things because I knew they'd be a waste of money. I guess it's all about perspective and values.

Side note: I'm tired of people talking about Michael Jackson like he was some sort of saint. In light of eternity will his music impact the next generation for Christ? Do his values mirror that of what God's Word teaches? Conversations lately seem to be engulfed with talk of Jackson and his viewing/funeral. As Christians we need to encourage children to exemplify Christ and His characteristics and not that of celebrities.

No comments: