Wednesday, July 28, 2010

busy...unstable...

School hasn't even started and I feel like all I've done for the past week is work! It's been good but exhausting. I've made all my copies for English and Spelling, 1/3 of my copies for Math, and the 1st Unit for Reading. I'd say it's been productive. I have also moved classrooms this year. Three rooms in the new building have been finished. So I was able to help move the 1st grade teachers things into her room, and then I moved my things into my room (her former room). My housemate Anne moved out Monday morning, and my new housemate, Lori, moved in Monday afternoon. Today is actually Lori's birthday. She's in meetings all day so I hope to see her sometime tonight. I have a friend in town who spent the last month in Tanzania. He'll be going back to Jacksonville, FL tonight.

We start school the 10th of August. The voting for the Constitution takes place on the 4th of August. We were supposed to have returning/new staff orientation the 5th and 6th, but it has been canceled due to the fact that we don't know how stable Nairobi will be. We've been advised to stock up on food, water, petrol, and phone credit just in case we have to stay hunkered down for any amount of time. The school has changed orientation to the 3rd and 9th. We've also canceled the Welcome Picnic on the 7th. Please pray that violence does not erupt.

No comments: