Saturday, July 17, 2010

Stuck On Food

I was watching a movie last night, and I couldn’t help but copy a quote from it. The quote is “Life is not solely comprised of tasks but tastes.” Bonus points if you can tell me what movie it’s from. I thoroughly enjoy watching cooking shows and movies about cooking (Ratatouille, No Reservations, etc.). There’s something thrilling about creating a new meal that sparks life to your taste buds. I’ve decided to start eating healthier, and as of right now it’s been 8 ½ days since I’ve had sugar. By sugar I mean sucrose – table sugar. I’ve had plenty of fruits and some honey. I’ve also cut out foods containing white flour, processed things, artificial sugars, or heavily fattening ingredients. Being a person who enjoys cooking I’ve looked at this new lifestyle challenge with eagerness and determination. I have been surprised to find that there are a myriad of meals you can make that are super healthy and tasty. For example this morning I had leftover brown rice, homemade guacamole (avocado, tomato, onion, garlic, & a pinch of salt), and egg whites seasoned with cumin and ground chili peppers fried in olive oil. Last evening I had tilapia seasoned with Caribbean seasoning, brown rice, and a delicious sweet potato. I’ve noticed that without eating sugar some things just taste sweeter – like the sweet potato. It was so good on its own that I didn’t even need to add a bit of butter to it. I’m hoping to make it to the store so I can get a few more ingredients I need to make homemade Ezekiel bread. Once the bread is made I’ll eat it with homemade tomato soup. Yum! The next thing on my list to do is to find an excellent homemade spaghetti sauce recipe.

No comments: