Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Complaining - Gross!

Today I had a really good conversation with a friend. It brought to mind Proverbs 27:17 "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." I appreciate friends who are just flat out honest with me. I had a friend tell me today that I've been complaining too much. She said that I am not praising God as He should be praised. It was a huge pill to swallow. She is completely right though! She shared Scripture with me and then prayed with me. After we got off the phone I decided to write a praise list. Right away I thought of 17 praises without much thought at all. It's easy to get into the rut of complaining. We want things to go as we planned them and therefore when they don't go as planned we get all worked up simply because we did not get our way. When our focus is on Christ everything else fades into the background.

*I praise God for honest friends. They challenge me in my faith.
*I praise God for the opportunity to minister at West Nairobi School. It stretches me as I'd never imagined.
*I praise God for a home church in the States that loves and supports me. They encourage me when I'm down.
*I praise God for Christ's sacrifice at the cross of Calvary. Without salvation through Christ I would spend eternity in hell apart from a relationship with Him.
*I praise God for taking my parents. I've learned to lean on Him as my Abba Father.
*I praise God for my burns. My confidence should be in Christ alone and not in outward appearances.
*I praise God for moving me to Africa. I am learning to live out of my comfort zone.
*I praise God for daily trials. I have to cling daily to His Word.
*I praise God for difficult parents at school. I am developing relationship and problem solving skills.
*I praise God for my new students this school year. I am privileged to shepherd a new flock for His honor and His glory.

These are just a few praises from my list. Today think of 10 things you can praise God for. I promise you it's an easy exercise. There is so much to praise Him for!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear One,

I am reminded of Job 4:3-4, God is making firm your feeble knees and strengthening you.And that your friend is stir you up to love ad good works Heb 10:24

In this we see God's Love and sovereignty as you choose to seek Him who knows what is BEST for you.

Mungu akuongoze kwa vyote unavyofanya, Nakupenda
Dada yako
Shyanne